Decorating and giving beauty to the country house, people, at times, create various and beautiful in the appearance of real works of art. One of such wonderful ideas is undoubtedly the creation of a pond filled with an abundance of luxury fish species. Indeed, the pond makes any country house beautiful and attractive. Probably, each owner of the country house dreams of having at his disposal such an exquisite decorative decoration. Just imagine, go out in the morning into the yard, and there, in the pond, splashing fish, shimmering with all the colors of the rainbow. At first glance, it may seem that the construction of a pond in the countryside is a rather time-consuming and responsible process. Even in the presence of financial resources, people miss this option, as the installation of an artificial pond, as they consider it too costly and difficult to build. But this is not the case. If you follow certain rules and procedures, this process will not require much time from you. In this article we will analyze in detail all the subtleties and nuances that you need to know to build a decorative pond with or without fish.
How to start building a pond on the site
Preparation of materials and tools
First of all, it is necessary to understand that the pond has an impressive, large size, even if you are going to make it small. Therefore, it is necessary to prepare special earth-moving machinery.
- You will need an excavator or any other equipment capable of digging a deep hole.
Also, in addition to the equipment that digs the ground, you need trucks to take out the excavated soil. If you are not going to transport the soil, and you just want to use it as a filler of pits and irregularities in your area, the truck will probably not be useful to you.
- you will need a shovel from the hand tools to remove all the irregularities and give the future pond the right shape and shape.
In addition to the tools, you need to stock up on finishing materials, but we’ll talk about them later.
What is pressure washing?
Often referred to as “power washing,” a similar form of cleaning that uses heated water, pressure washing is a form of exterior cleaning that uses a high-pressure stream of water to remove dirt and debris from outdoor surfaces.
Step-by-step instructions for building a pond on the site
First, you need to decide what kind of pond you want to build. Basically, there are at least four types of ponds:
- Mini-pond on the site. It is much smaller than usual in size. It looks good on small plots, which literally do not allow you to install a large pond. Its creation will not require a large amount of materials, and the price for them is not very high.
- Water body on the site. Perfectly approaches not only as a decorative ornament, but also as a way of cultivation of fish. And under cultivation of fish is understood not simply its maintenance in a pond, and namely increase in its quantity in the natural way.
- Pond with decorative elements. Unlike the previous ones, this pond is filled with various decorative elements that stand out from the water. Ideal option for decorating the territory of its site.
- Swimming pool on the plot. Allows people not only to admire its beauty, but also to bathe in it in hot weather. You can invite guests and enjoy warm water together in the heat.
Basically, any kind of pond is built in the same way, the only difference is its size. Therefore, this step-by-step instruction is suitable for almost everyone.
- First of all, it is necessary to determine the presence of groundwater and find out the depth to them. Then determine the location of the pond in the territory. It is necessary to take into account the following factors: the presence of light to maintain the desired water temperature and a favorable environment for plants planted near it. Also make sure that the soil is dense and will not collapse during construction. Make sure that there are no underground communication lines in the area.
- After the preparatory work in the area of theoretical location, we proceed directly to the size of the pond itself. The plants need a depth of about 30 centimeters for the stunted, and 40-90 centimeters for the taller ones. If your task is to breed or keep fish, then the depth should be from 1 meter.
- Then the work of the excavator is required. You should take into account the fact that the technique will spoil your area. There is also a huge mass of excavated soil. We give the future pond the shape you need. After that, you need to make sure that there are no sharp objects or stones at the bottom of the excavation and on the sides, and if there are any, to remove them.
- In order for the water not to leak out, it is important to cover the bottom with a sealed base, but only if there is no groundwater and the water from the pond will eventually seep through the rock. You can cover the bottom of the PVC foil and make sure there are no gaps. Fix the material and fill the excavation with water. Only after one day, when the soil under the water mass has completely settled and the film has acquired its final shape, it is possible to remove the remaining parts of the coating and start decorating the pond.
Pond equipment on the site
Finding a pressure washer service company in Santa Barbara
After a while, different debris will appear on the water surface. These are branches of trees, dry grass, leaves or needles, depending on the species of plants in the vicinity. In addition, the water itself will have a cloudy, polluted appearance. In order to avoid these troubles, it is necessary to pass water through a special filter. The pond filter is designed to kill microorganisms that cause water blooms. In addition, it is the filter that holds up and removes fine debris and dirt from the pond. There are several ways to filter the pond:
- Pond pressure filtration. Cheap and practical system. It is used in the presence of a fountain. Water passes through it under pressure and comes back to the water body already cleaned.
- Pressureless pond filtration. It consists of tanks filled with special material. The water is cleaned after passing through them.
- Sand filtration of the pond. Consists of sieved quartz sand and gravel and is cleaned by backwashing.
Final work in pond construction
Planting plants in a pond
One of the decorative decorations of the pond is its saturation with vegetation. Plants can be planted not only near the pond, but also in the water itself. Keep in mind that plants must be adapted to this, because they can easily die. Flora can be both submerged in water and floating on the water surface. Free-floating people are usually submerged in water and not tied to the bottom of the tank by the root system. Others, on the other hand, have a root system and are tied to a certain place. When planting plants in the water, it is necessary to make sure that the climate conditions in which they can fully grow and delight our eyes. Everything is much easier for coastal plants. For the most part, they do not need constant care. With the necessary enrichment with water, the plants will be able to grow independently.
Starting up fish in a pond
You can put fish in the pond only when all the favorable conditions for its life are met. That is:
- The water is saturated with oxygen;
- The pond is cleaned of contamination in a timely manner;
- It is also important to remember such a factor as feeding the fish. For this purpose it is necessary to buy food in specialized shops and to watch that it sufficed all;
- keep the number of fish, as they are characterized by frequent reproduction;
- Not to let predatory species of fish into the pond, it can lead to the extinction of other species;
- In order to start fish in the pond, the fish must be placed in a solution of salt and water from the pond. After 3 minutes you can safely release it into the pond.
Pond care and maintenance
When cleaning the water body with various filters, do not forget that the filters themselves are clogged and should also be cleaned. This also applies to pumps. Timely cleaning will help to keep the pond clean. In addition, you will need a suction pad (a large net on the long handle) that can be used to manually catch debris from the water surface. If your pond is large, the water may not be changed over the years due to biocenosis. But if it is insulated from the ground with PVC film, the water in the pond should be changed at least 2-3 times a year.
The pond is one of the most luxurious decorative structures in the countryside. Even with a minimum budget you can make your dream come true. Financial costs are necessary only for hiring special equipment and further decorating the pond. The further operation will not require from you big financial investments and forces, it will remain only to enjoy the result of the work done.
Because power washing uses heat, this method is more effective in softening and breaking up tough-to-remove debris.